We are so excited to be participating in the STEPtember challenge this year. By participating, we are raising awareness and raise funds for 34,000 Australians who are living with cerebral palsy.
Not only are we supporting a great cause. By participating in this virtual challenge, we look after our own health and wellbeing as well.
Our health is the most important thing we have in our lives. Maintaining your physical health doesn’t just help you lose weight and prevent illness, it also increases productivity and stimulates your mental wellbeing. People who regularly exercise are healthier and have an overall better mood.
It is easy to get caught up in the negativity of the current environment we living in. But did you know walking is one of the many lifestyle remedies for depression?
Endorphins released in the body by physical exercise have pain-relieving and immune-boosting qualities. They help us sleep and concentrate better and make us feel happy and calm. When we are low in endorphins is when we often show signs of depression. The best way to improve our endorphin levels is to get moving!
The average office worker does only 3000 steps a day as opposed to the recommended minimum of 10,000 steps. Working from home has not helped us keep fit. That is why the United Co. Community is stepping up for CP this September.
There are plenty of ways to be a part of this challenge in which we walk, swim, ride, wheel or spin our way to 10,000 steps each day. It is not just outdoor activity that counts toward your daily steps. Home workouts, cleaning and dancing count toward your steps as well.
Here are our top 7 tips to reach 10,000 steps a day this STEPtember.
- If you enjoy going out for a barista coffee in the morning, consider walking a bit further than the nearest cafe. An easy half an hour walk earns you 3000 steps. It’s a good start of the day.
- Cycle to the supermarket instead of driving. 10 minutes of moderate intensity cycling gets you 1933 steps.
- A half an hour lunchtime workout out in your lounge room will earn you 4000 steps.
- Housework including vacuuming, mopping counts for 5,400 steps per hour. Never did cleaning your home feel better.
- A one hour Yoga session earn 6000 steps and a clear mind.
- Dancing fast past for 1 hour takes you straight to the 10,000 steps. Party in your living room!
- Remember rope skipping? It is a moderate to high intensity full body workout that earns you 10,000 steps in 35 minutes.
We hope that you will get moving too, and focus on the importance of putting your health first in order to thrive in all aspects of life.
You can sign up for STEPtember yourself or be a part of the challenge by supporting our team with a motivational donation.